ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF REAL ESTATE
Urban Edge seeks a highly skilled and motivated manager to help lead and support our Real
Estate Development team as Associate Director of Real Estate.
OUR STRATEGY AND ACTIVITIES
Urban Edge is one of the largest not-for-profit community development corporations in Massachusetts. We are located where Boston’s Latin Quarter meets its historic African-American neighborhood, at the crossroads of Jamaica Plain and Roxbury, in Jackson Square. We
aim to foster diverse urban neighborhoods of choice populated by resilient families and sustained by dynamic webs of community relationships. To achieve this goal: we build quality affordable housing for low and moderate-income households; we advise hardworking families on
homeowner services, financial education, taxes, and student loans; and we organize neighbors to become leaders of community change.
Urban Edge has a 2020 annual operating budget of $4.5 million, and a staff of 29. We have developed nearly 1,500 units of affordable housing. We maintain a portfolio of 1,320 units. Residents of our housing and our community are diverse and multilingual. In 2020, we anticipate serving more than 2,500 families.
Urban Edge has an active pipeline of residential and mixed-use development projects. In 2020, we will complete 49 new units and 99 renovation units in Roxbury and Dorchester. We will begin construction on another 62 new units and renovate 78 units in Jamaica Plain. We will advance four additional development projects, including a small homeownership development, a 65-unit new construction project, and a 191-unit renovation project. We will continue our important partnership with Jamaica Plain Neighborhood Development Corporation and The Community Builders to redevelop Mildred Hailey Apartments, a major public housing development in Jackson Square.
THE ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF REAL ESTATE
Our real estate department is led by an experienced Director of Real Estate, and currently includes 4 dedicated project managers. The Associate Director of Real Estate will play an essential role in supporting staff and executing complex real estate projects. Reporting to the Director of Real Estate, the Associate Director will supervise two or more project managers and will assist with other department-wide management functions. Key responsibilities follow.
- In coordination with the Director of Real Estate, the Associate Director will coach, train, and lead staff on all aspects of project management including:
- Conduct regular review of project budgets and schedules
- Actively participate in project closings, business decisions, and team relationships
- Ensure projects meet Urban Edge’s standards for affordability, workforce diversity, green, urban design, financial, and resident engagement
- Create and maintain systems to support the efficiency and quality of work
- Attend and participate in departmental, organizational, and other meetings and initiatives, and perform other duties as assigned
- Ensure performance expectations for staff are set, communicated, and reviewed
- Support a culture of continuous learning and professional growth, and
- Assist with pipeline development.
The Associate Director will ensure that project management responsibilities are met, either by managing staff or performing tasks directly, including:
- Assess feasibility, conduct due diligence, create development plans, and secure site control for new properties, and for the repositioning of existing Urban Edge portfolio properties
- In collaboration with Community Engagement staff, identify and support opportunities for meaningful involvement of residents and community members in our work
- Create and manage budgets and schedules for complex projects
- Prepare funding applications; solicit lending and investment proposals; negotiate financing terms; manage compliance
- Manage all real estate transactions and closings, including review of due diligence and loan documents, and assessment and negotiation of key business terms
- Identify and lead the project team of architects, engineers and contractors to design and construct the project in compliance with funding requirements and Urban Edge goals, with technical assistance and support from a third-party owner’s construction representative
- Lead and coordinate the work of property management, community engagement, and relocation professionals to meet occupancy requirements and deliver exceptional service, and
- Perform administrative and other duties required for successful project management.
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
We seek a mission-driven manager who will bring flexibility, a sense of humor and an interest in growing with our team. Our ideal candidate will possess many of the following skills and qualifications:
Direct Development or Closely Related Experience
- Five or more years of experience managing residential real estate development projects
- Oversight of three or more projects from concept to completion
- Substantial experience with Low Income Housing Tax Credits and other funding programs used for affordable housing and commercial development
- Experience leading development teams
Financial and Legal Acumen
- Advanced skills, including budget management and real estate financial analysis
- Strong knowledge of financing terms
- Ability to assess and negotiate loan documents and review legal documents
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Excel
- Ability to inspire positivity and productivity among talented, diverse staff
- Ability to lead, teach, and measure progress to achieve results
- Understanding of design and construction processes, construction risks, performance requirements, cost management strategies, and green and healthy housing
- Ability to independently organize and effectively prioritize own activities
- Experience organizing and leading highly productive meetings
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including strong presentation skills
- Consistent attention to detail and accuracy
Mission and Cultural Competency
- Commitment to Urban Edge’s mission
- Flexibility to adapt, respond, and meet the needs of the project and the organization
- Ability to interact positively with people of all ethnic and economic backgrounds, and
- Fluency in a language other than English a plus.
This position requires availability for some evening meetings.
Please submit a cover letter detailing your interest and your qualifications for this position, along with a resume to: http://annlsilverman.com/associate director/. Applications will be reviewed and acknowledged as they are received.
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the U.S. See www.urbanedge.org for more information about our organization.
Urban Edge is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds and cultures.