POSITION TITLE: Intern (part-time), ULI Boston/New England
LOCATION: Boston, Massachusetts
REPORTS TO: Director of Policy and Outreach
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Non-exempt
POSITION STATUS: Part-time, 25 hours a week
The Urban Land Institute is a nonprofit education and research institute supported by its members. Its mission is to provide leadership in the responsible use of land and in creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide. Established in 1936, the Institute has more than 42,000 members worldwide representing all aspects of land use and development disciplines. More than 1,300 members represent the Boston/New England District Council.
New England is historically a cold climate region. While heat waves have occurred periodically, climate change poses an increasing public health threat due to rising temperatures and the existing pattern of urban development. Cities in New England are built for yesteryear and are not designed for future conditions when extreme heat will become much more common. The population has not assimilated behaviors to adapt to high temperatures and is therefore relatively more vulnerable compared with populations in other regions. The urban form of cities must be modified in response to climate change.
The public health effects of urban heat, as well as possible mitigation measures, are well documented. Current data show that the invisible, yet deadly urban heat will profoundly affect Greater Boston and its people. The potential public health effects will be compounded by possible effects on infrastructure, water, and energy demands. Property owners, planners, developers, and city and regional officials need to coordinate to implement regional mitigation measures to make inroads addressing this issue. With “Living with Heat,” Metro Boston decision makers will have the opportunity to explore regional data and solutions using the Climate-Smart Cities decision-support mapping tool and begin to move to action.
The Intern will be responsible for working with ULI staff to manage all aspects of the “Living with Heat” charrette for the Boston/New England District Council. The charrette will generally follow the established processes and tactics used in ULI Boston’s technical assistance panels (TAPs). Through the TAP process, ULI Boston members address challenging land use issues that require local knowledge to resolve. The charrette process coordinates ULI members and resources to provide content expertise that will result in a report that highlights design and infrastructure solutions for neighborhoods that are identified as heat islands in the Boston metropolitan area. The position will report to the ULI Boston Director of Policy and Outreach. The Intern will:
- Ensure that the project is delivered on time, within the scope and within budget.
- Attend monthly meetings of the Resiliency Committee.
- Develop a project plan with staff and members to monitor and track progress.
- Manage the coordination of ULI members and all stakeholders for the purpose of completing the project.
- Coordinate vendors needed and meeting space for the charrette.
- Attend and coordinate daylong charrette.
- Coordinate briefing materials for the charrette.
- Manage report writer and assist with capturing the findings of the charrette.
- Manage the editorial process for the Living with Heat report.
- Collaborate with staff on mini-grant implementation.
- Project management.
- Some content knowledge in land use or climate impacts on the built environment.
- Social media/Word Press expertise.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid organizational skills, including attention to detail and multitasking.
- A high school diploma and 3 years of undergraduate education are required.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest and a résumé to Manikka Bowman, Director of Policy and Outreach, ULI Boston/New England, at email@example.com.
EOE/m/f/d/v. No relocation reimbursement is offered at this time.
Intern (part-time) ULI Boston New England (printable version)