Who We Are
The Urban Land Institute Boston/New England is a nonprofit education and research institute supported by its members. Its mission is to provide leadership in the responsible use of land and in creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide. Established in 1936, the institute has more than 40,000 members worldwide representing all aspects of land use and development disciplines. More than 1,300 members represent the Boston/New England District Council.
Technical Assistance Panels
ULI’s Technical Assistance Panels (TAP) provides objective, expert advice to municipal and community-based organizations on the feasibility, design, or implementation of development initiatives. Projects have ranged in scope from generating ideas for redeveloping individual sites to creating strategies for revitalizing entire downtown districts. The ULI Boston Real Estate Advisory Committee in collaboration with ULI staff leads the TAP program.
The Boston/New England District Council established its TAP program nearly 20 years ago. Over the years, we have conducted over forty TAPs and have assisted communities throughout New England with challenging land use issues. As a means to better understand the impact of the TAP program, we are issuing a request for proposals (RFP) to identify and develop a methodology to quantify the long and short-term economic development and real estate implications of the TAP program.
ULI Boston is seeking a consultant that will identify a methodological approach to defining a measurable framework for the TAP program, report on TAP impact findings from the identified framework, and create a standardized research tool that can be applied to all future TAPs. The consultant will work in collaboration with the ULI Boston Real Estate Advisory Committee under the guidance of the Director of Policy and Outreach to shape the methodological approach for the project. During the research process, the framework should be reviewed and adapted during a pilot phase of the project to ensure ULI Boston/New England is getting the information needed to determine the impact of the TAP program. The identified consultant will be expected to review TAPs presentations and reports to gain an accurate understanding of the TAP program.
The methodological approach and research framework should be designed to assess and better understand the TAP program’s impact on real estate development, adaptive reuse, local land use policies, economic development gains, and placemaking, in addition to other reoccurring recommendations found across TAP reports. The consultant will report to the ULI Director of Policy and Outreach.
The final product for this project will include:
- A report detailing the methodological approach and key findings of the TAP program’s impact on land use and economic development in communities we have served.
- A tool to assess the impact of future TAPs
TAP Reports and Presentations Examples
We anticipate a three- to a four-month time frame for the completion of this project.
- Demonstrated knowledge of commercial real estate and economic development
- Highly qualified in data collection, statistical and graphical analysis
- Comfortable working with diverse stakeholders and in collaborative work environments
- Writing and analytical skills
- Quantitative and qualitative research
- Communication and attention to detail
- Critical analytical skills
ULI Boston/New England’s budget for the project is $20,000.
RFP Evaluation Criteria
Proposals should be structured as followed:
- Basic information and overview of the firm or consultant
- Approach to the TAP research project, including anticipated methodology and proposed deliverables
- Samples of previous research endeavors
- Proposed timeline to complete work insufficient detail to establish project milestones and deliverables.
- Staffing plan with Resume/CV for project leadership
- Proposed cost for services
Interviews with prospective contractors will be required.
Proposals should be submitted by March 15, 2019, to Manikka Bowman, Director of Policy and Outreach at Manikka.email@example.com.
pdf attachment: TAP Research_Project RFP